Here’s the short recap of John Smedleys lenghty post about the new project on Reddit
- it’s a persistent MMO, free-to-play model
- set in a world where the H1Z1 virus devastated mankind and left nothing but death and destruction in its wake and a world nearly empty of human life
- 15 years later, the remnants of humanity are in a fight against extinction against those infected with the virus.
- the devs will grow the world until we have our own version of a zombie infested U.S.
- sandbox style of gameplay where players can build shelters out of resources in the world.
- a very deep crafting system that can let players make a huge variety of awesome stuff, including weapons
- there will be multiple servers with very different rule sets
- there’s trading
- It uses SOEs next-gen Forgelight engine
- expect player-created items to make their way into the game via Player Studio
- players will get tools to make their own towns, camps and defenses, and they can decide how to set up their base (which is in the world btw… not instanced)
- emphasis is set on player ownership and building.
- grouping, proximity voice chat, voice chat for your gang, and many other cool social features
Finally, here’s some H1Z1 gameplay footage in a special extented episode of Game Talk Live, with John Smedley, President of Sony Online Entertainment