This is the first update for the unforgiving and visually stunning beat ’em up by Hapa Games.
Here’s a short description and some features of the game and below them, the update notes. Ascendant is available via Steam, GOG.com and Indie Game Stand.
Ascendant is the unforgiving beat ’em up that challenges you with a new world each time you play. It utilizes a number of modern roguelike elements such as permadeath and procedurally generated environments. You are a demigod who invades a plane controlled by your rivals. They will stop at nothing to eliminate you. Only the most impressive warriors will triumph over their armies of zealots and beasts.
By exploring the world, discovering new weapons, spells, and Blessings, and learning how to survive in this brutal realm, you may have a small chance at winning.
- Death is Final – When your enemies defeat you, the game is over. No respawning. No returning to the last save point. You will need all of your cunning and skill to win.
- A New World Each Run – Each playthrough creates a new hazardous land for adventure. You will never know exactly what you will encounter in the next room, which hazards will be presented to you, what you will find in a chest, or even (in some cases) which boss you will be fighting next. Expect hours of replayability and new challenges.
- A Brutal Struggle – The armies of your demigod rivals are relentless. When a foe cuts you with his sword, it hurts. If you slip into a pit of spikes, the blades leave deep wounds. If a bomb explodes nearby you will burn. Health recovery items are rare. Fight with precision, speed, and timing to survive. Dodge attacks and crush your opponent when he is off-balance to seize the advantage.
- Agile Beat ’em Up Combat – Slam enemies into each other to deal massive damage. Pummel enemies with ground and air combos or launch a barrage of spells. Launch your opponents in the air with rapid dashing assaults making them helpless against your divine onslaught.
- Blessings – Blessings are part of ancient relics that players can find and equip on either their weapon, armor, or spell. Each of these sockets will grant a different power. Double jump, choke your enemies with a poison cloud, or jolt them to ashes with lightning. Equip and customize your Blessings to determine your own fate.
- Rebindable keys added to the settings menu. Keyboard keys and controllers are now completely rebindable.
- Generic icons for controllers added.
- Added a restart button to the game over screen that quickly takes players back into the game with the last character played.
- Fixed bug that would occasionally lock Humbaba in an invulnerable state.
- Fixed bug that would occasionally create a situation where tamed flies could lock players into a room.
- Ascended Midas’ bonus is now correctly applied to the game.
- Itzli event room now correctly despawns the altar when the Blessing of Itzli appears.
- Shatki spell should now properly spawn all projectiles. Mana cost and speed have been lowered slightly.
- +30 to Mana stat upgrade now gives the correct bonus amount.